The Marshall House, a National Historic Place, lies eight miles (13 km) north of the main entrance to the Saratoga National Historical Park on US Highway 4 and NY Highway 32 north of the village of Schuylerville. Made famous by Baroness Frederika Riedesel in her Letters and Journals relating to the War of the American Revolution, and the Capture of the German Troops led by General Riedesel at Saratoga. This house was built in 1770-1773.
During the closing days of the Battles of Saratoga, Baroness Riedesel sheltered there together with the wives of officers of the British army and wounded personnel. Her account of the travails of those around her, her keen insight into the personalities of the principal officers of both the British and American armies and her devotion to her husband in peril have led some commentators to name her as the first woman war correspondent. The Marshall House was bombarded by the Americans who supposed it an enemy headquarters.
Within are conserved cannon balls and other reminders of the ordeal suffered by those who took refuge there. The Marshall House is the sole structure in the battles area surviving. The present owner, David Bullard, welcomes history buffs by appointment. 518-695-3765.